Saturday, August 20, 2011

Belgian Cafe, Abu Dhabi


This is about as far away from local cuisine as you can get, but it was a wonderful meal nonetheless. Located on the lower level of the Intercontinental Hotel in Abu Dhabi is the Belgian Cafe, home to mussels, cream sauces, cheese -- but no barbecue. I had raw salmon, beautiful, succulent ribbons of fresh fish seasoned in vinegar and mild spices, this would rival the best sashimi in Manhattan or Tokyo. It was also the first place in Abu Dhabi I'd found to serve Hoegaarden, the classic Belgian wheat beer and my favorite summertime brew.
I'm 21 days into my new life here in the Persian Gulf, and perhaps it was homesickness for a western meal, but I thoroughly enjoyed this evening. The three large Hoegaardens didn't hurt.
My dinner companion also added to the evening. I dined with Tom O'Hara, an upbeat, friendly, occasionally loud Irish-American from Maple Shade, New Jersey who makes a point of welcoming newbies to The National. There are fewer than ten Americans at The National, and we make a point of waving the stars and stripes and letting loose whenever we get together.

Here's a picture of Tom enjoying his chicken wings, fries and mayonnaise (he asked for ketchup).
Granted, I wrote this immediately upon my return from dinner, so I may have to come back and edit this. But suffice to say this was a wonderful meal shared with a great dinner companion. It was also the first consumption of alcohol since my arrival. Whoever said that booze improves the writing was incorrect. Apologies to Hemingway and the Babyshambles guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment